Sunday, September 20, 2009

hear something on/through the grapevine




If you hear some news or information on or through the grapevine, someone else tells it to you unofficially, often in conversation.

EXAMPLES:

"Who told you I was moving house?" "Oh, I just heard it on the grapevine."

Freddie was distressed when, through the grapevine, he heard of Liza's marriage.

I heard through the grapevine that she was pregnant, but I don't know anything more.

According to the high-school grapevine, Kelly wants me to ask her out on a date.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post.

business english course

Thanks for sharing.

hamlet said...

interesting!

سامان said...

Very usefull blog...
thanks for your coming to my blog.

Anonymous said...

hi

your web is very good..


please come to my blog